In Memoriam      

                             Donato F. "Dony" Joaquin Jr.  '57

                             b.  Oct. 5, 1938 - d. Nov. 15, 2022


 May 21, 2022..... left to right, Bobby Dominguez '57, Toots Lucero '55, Dony '57,  Joriz Singson '69, Ver Aesquivel '55, and Art Cordero '75


                  ******************************************* 

Our  dearest friends, my dearest Dony has passed on to be with the Lord at 220 pm yesterday at the UCLA cardiac icu center . He was on 24 hour dialysis and bp

Life support without which he coujd not survive .  . He was pain free and very comfortable when he passed on with  just comfort  care meds when they disconnected first the bp meds then the 24 hour dialysys machine . He had  no tubes or Ivs in his body  and no  artificial oxygen in his mouth  .  He and I were positive for Covid  and daughter Nadine and   I were the only ones allowed in thr isolation  area where he was . However UCLA  had zoom facilities set up so all the rest of family  And even all Dony’s siblings could zoom with   him avd my sons  and even apos and a sister sang to him . He was asleep towards the last 2 of the 3 hours he was still with  us but we were told he could hear up to the end . It was more like celebrating his  entry into heaven rather than dying  that we were experiencing .  When  he actually died at 220 pm the nurse had to tell us he was already gone because he still seemed to be breathing and  looking like he was  just asleep . We as famiky were so happy with.  thr way he died . I’m quite sure he was too . Rest In Peace my dearest Dony . Thank you Lord for such  a peaceful and even joyful ending for my Dony .    (from Nina Joaquin)

                                 *************************************

" Donatski"  was my frat name for him.   Dony was one among my first "idols" in my time.  I could count several other  "diehards"in batch '57 - Gicer,  Bobby, Art, and of course Jesse Ejercito....  Dony was Herald, and he urged me as his "heir" to that position.  My dearly beloved room mate was"friends" with Nina... and when they were residing in UP Village  ( or was that Teachers' Village?), we would be invited for dinner occasionally.  My dearly beloved became closer to Nina when they were both attending... with Maricris Garcia.... the same Evangelical church in Makati in the  80s.

I've always liked Dony.... he was always calm.. he exuded an aura of confidence... i would say he was like a Howard Roark... who wore the face of a man who had neither guilt nor fear. 

And he has one (among the many) trait I like... he  wrote and spoke in clear English, and ya, he possessed that gift of wit....

                                                        *******

Dony ran marathons.. although there was one where he was advised not to proceed.. a warning sign about his heart..    But still you'd think he'd be among the last to have a cardiac arrest.... and that he was in dialysis is surprising.  he was  lean in college, at work, and last i saw him some years back...

That freakin' Covid is really dangerous for us ancient argonauts.......esp if you have some co morbidities ....

                                                **************

I was touched by Nina's narration.. that Dony died peacefully, without pain or struggle. Who wouldn't want to die like that?  There is  a Catholic prayer, composed by St Alphonsus, for that wish..

                              Through your help I hope to die a happy death. O my Mother I beg you, by the love you bear my God, to help me at all times, but especially at the last moment of my life. Do not leave me, I beseech you, until you see me safe in Heaven, blessing you and singing your mercies for all eternity. Amen, so I hope, so may it be.

                                                   ************




Comments

  1. I have not gotten to really know Brod Dony as I am a relative late comer into Tau Alpha, but we belong to this wonderful family of Argonauts plus plus. Reading all the compliments made me see the man he was and what he left behind.

    Sail on, Brod Dony, your mission on earth has been fulfilled. You now have your new place in Heaven.

    My condolences to the entire Joaquin family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Lanny'58:
    "I'll always remember Dony's eloquence. He was one of the most dominant among the brods that I feared and respected when I was undergoing initiation in 1958; but he never laid his hands on me during that frightful ordeal. He had this noticeable ring in his finger that has inscribed in it: "Death before dishonor!" That inscription defined his character to me right there and then. Sail on, Donato Florendo Joaquin Jr.! May the Lord bless and comfort your Nina. ...lanny '58"

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Bob Dominuez'57:

    Dony'57,

    My kabatch, among the truest of Tau Alphans, the truest of my generation .I would like to bid you "Rest in Peace", but knowing you, exploring around in the heavens would be hard for you to resist. I can also just imagine the joy of reuniting with the '57s who have gone before, perhaps just in the next dimension.

    This is not a farewell, for as long as we remember, you and the rest of our kabatch who have gone before are still alive:
    Gil Albino
    Jing Barretto
    Jimmy Batnag
    Pat Brillantes
    Nonong Divino
    Nonoy Duran
    Dony Joaquin
    Primo Libatique
    Ray Mata  
    Lut Morales
    Billy Zablan
    ---
    Sincere condolences to Nina and the Joaquin clan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To our beloved Brod Dony Joaquin’57, a Titan:


    the sun also dies


    sitting full lotus
    on the proverbial
    himalayan mountain ledge
    mudra and eyes
    straight across the
    crimson horizon
    once more
    for another setting
    of the day
    shimmering a haze
    of a bluish universe
    beyond
    and yet still far
    beyond in space
    dark streaks
    seemingly coming forward
    but remain still
    a black mysterious
    sequins mirage

    an image perceived
    in solitude with the sun
    day in day out now
    in full focus

    ah our world
    our sun star
    its planets of gases
    of rocks
    mysterious
    spinning nonchalantly
    eons and eons
    from the chaos
    big bang
    like a rush hour moment
    in big asphalt gardens
    of the world
    galaxies
    running like a thief
    with a precious haul
    our milkyway
    like a screaming newborn
    just flying
    and spinning
    not knowing where to go
    just straight out to
    nowhere with precious
    paradise earth

    yet our mortal selves
    in the tiny grain world
    we live in we go around
    unperturbed by the
    frenzy of the outer space
    the speed of light life
    of the universes
    the einsteins space
    and time
    we seemed to have
    found a niche
    on planet earth
    focused on our
    dreams our happiness
    our loves adventures
    our own universes
    our families
    matters not if only
    for a slice
    of a moment’s time
    in space infinite

    our paradise home
    eons caught flitting
    clustered
    in the cold space
    warm by a star
    far away in the horizon
    our father sun
    the purveyor of life
    now aged
    itself is slowly dying

    like my old
    faithful friend
    my aging body
    slowly bidding me
    goodbye
    smiling it’s last smiles
    like the sun sharing
    the last magnificent
    gift of life
    my body and I
    the last sunsets
    we will see
    in our solitude
    on the sacred ledge
    of the himalayas
    the sun also dies

    ***
    (c)ndr11.14.2022
    photo:ndr Durham NC sunset

    ...as is true in the vast voidness of cosmos stars die and reborn...like our body from where our souls will emerge to find a new home... and on and on... a journey repeated for eternity.,,

    ***

    Vic
    1d
    Beautiful poem Brod. Very fitting you posted it today when we learned of Dony’s passing. Yes Brod, the sun also dies.


    A giant shadow
    He cast amongst all of us
    Titan forever
    Passing on he leaves a void
    Ache in our collective hearts

    Reply
    Nelson D Reyes
    8h
    Thank you Brod. Posted poem and not a minute later I learned that Brod Dony passed on. I was stunned. Sad. Ironic coincidence. Will miss a Titan of a Fraternity Brod.@Vic
    Reply

    Nelson D Reyes
    8h
    👍Indeed. May he Rest In Peace.@Vic
    Reply

    ***

    Robert L. Martin
    1d
    Great poem. Must have taken a lot of thought. I love the style. Who is Dony? Was he a friend of yours?
    Reply

    Nelson D Reyes
    8h
    Thank you Robert. Dony was a friend from a college fraternity Tau Alpha at the University of the Philippines. Founding was inspired by the Greek mythology adventures of Jason and the Argonauts @Robert L. Martin

    ***

    Francisco Potato
    6h
    Great poem brod Nelson. A timely tribute to our brod Dony.
    Reply

    Nelson D Reyes
    6m
    Indeed to a Great Titan of Tau Alppha Fraternity, University of the Philippines. We will sorely miss him. @Francisco Potato

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a 2017 poem “Unbroken…sail on dear brother “:




    Unbroken

    Sail On Dear Brother


    Bright blue beads sprouted yet single continuous strung together
    With the same aspirations purposes likes connected with love aglow
    Honor and pride dreams and despair in family we all grow
    We congregate socialize adjust engage intensify we laugh we work

    This is who we are hewn out of the same igneous rock yet unique

    …

    A family of faith honor bound we are beholden to beauty the truth steadfast we keep

    The line of blue beads will wear yet will remain rejuvenated woven with new golden ones
    Intermittently we pause when one on the thread suddenly flickers and dims
    We come together congregate as we have always done before
    Honor celebrate the life of our dear departed Brother
    A Tau Alphan a Golden Bead taken close to our hearts we bid him “Sail on dear Brother!”

    We remain unbroken our brotherhood will ever transcend
    impermanence
    ***

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Ver Aesquivel'55:
    Brod Dony. One of my closest ones. Sail on and we’ll meet again. Condolences to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tribute to Dony'57 by Danny Sarmiento'60:

    I have known Dony for decades and have so many good memories of our time together. One event in particular had a very big impact on my life. 


    I was invited by a dear friend to join Tau Alpha during my last year at UP. I didn’t have a clue about what would happen if I joined a fraternity.


    On the eve of my initiation all of the neophytes were gathered in a room in somebody’s house. I was still curious about what was going to happen. Dony gave some advice to all of us. He said something like “Don’t quit. Because, if you quit you will be branded as a quitter for the rest of your life”. That wise advice stuck with me and I began to realize that what was about to happen next was very serious. With this advice in mind I said to my self that I will go through the initiation no matter how difficult it will be. I didn’t want to be branded as a quitter.


    From that moment on, for every task or endeavor I take on I always follow it through. I do my best to finish. It’s a compulsion in me that I have to finish every job.


    I continue to follow Dony’s advice to this day. I am about to face the most difficult and potentially risky challenge of my life. As I go through this I will remember Dony’s advice and never quit. When I come through this challenge successfully it will extend my days in this world.


    Thank you Brod Dony. May you rest in peace for eternity and may God Bless Nina and your wonderful family.


    Danny ‘60

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Rolly Calalang'57 ...

    I will also add to Danny's words that since I've known Dony, he's always been one the most positive thinkers, bold and challenging. He's the "let's do it brod" brod. And I will always remember him as "one of my best friends" brod.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment